Bowie’s Dog Friendly Carnivore Bread
Easy and healthy bread recipe your dog can definitely have and will come back for more! Plus it’s human friendly too!
500g Minced meat of your choice
We use kangaroo meat because it is a lean meat (less than 2% fat). We also add a little bit of liver and veggies with the ratio of meat : liver : veggies is 85 : 5 : 10, but you can use 100% meat of your choice.
1/4 cup Organic, grass-fed ghee
We use CocoEarth brand (with very high smoke point and zero sodium). Learn why feeding ghee to your dog here.
1 tsp Himalayan salt (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 175C (fan).
2. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until you have soft peaks. Set aside. It is important that you do not skip this step in order to get the bread-like texture.
3. Melt the ghee on your stovetop (or in the microwave).
4. In a food processor/blender, add the meat, egg yolks, melted ghee and Himalayan salt (if used). Mix until you have a smooth paste form.
5. Add the meat mixture into the beaten egg whites and with a hand mixer, mix thoroughly until the mixture is smooth like batter.
6. Pour the mixture into a loaf tin/bread pan and bake for 100 minutes or until the texture is dry and grainy like bread throughout.
7. Once done, remove the loaf from the oven and let cool for 10–15 minutes before slicing.
8. Refrigerate if you are going to have the bread in a few days or freeze to have later. To make it crispy, you can toast the bread in a toaster or oven prior to adding toppings.
Topping Ideas for Your Dog’s Carnivore Bread
Top up with healthy fats such as:
Whole fresh sardine – a great source of omega-3 which can reduce inflammation, help fight heart disease and cancer, regulate cell activity and healthy cardiovascular function and improve brain function and eye health.
Avocado – yes, avocado flesh is safe to feed our dogs. Avocado is a great source of omega-3, omega-7 and omega-9, B vitamins (esp. B2, B3, B5, B6 and folate), vitamins C, E and K, as well as potassium and magnesium.
Plant oil like olive oil and hemp seed oil.
Seeds like sesame seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and flax seeds. Soak seeds and grind prior to feeding to activate and make them more bioavailable for dogs.