I love sharing food with my dog, Bowie. This is one of the recipes that you can share with your fur-friend/s. Pawfect for those four-legged (and two-legged) salmon and cheese lovers! For humans, you can add salt and pepper to taste.
200g Fresh Salmon or Canned Salmon (in Springwater), drained
2 tbsp Cottage Cheese (or Soft Goat’s Cheese)
⅓ cup Bone Broth (or dog-friendly stock)
1 tsp Gelatin Powder, dissolved into a warmed bone broth (or stock) above*
½ tsp Psyllium Husk
½ tbsp Fresh Herbs of your choice (eg. Parsley, Thyme or Dill)
1 Cucumber, shaved into long ribbons
*Add gelatin if you want a thicker mousse consistency
1. Line a small loaf tin with clingwrap and then with the cucumber ribbons, leaving an overhang.
2. Blend salmon, cheese, psyllium husk and herbs in a blender or food processor until smooth.
3. Add bone broth (with the dissolved gelatin) into the mixture. Blend for another minute or until all mixed in and smooth.
4. Pour mixture into the loaf tin and smooth off the top.
5. Fold over the overhanging cucumber and chill in the fridge for a few hours or until it is set. Best to leave it in the fridge to set overnight!
You can also add ground pumpkin or sesame seeds, or your dog’s favourite meal topper, or mashed cooked pumpkin or sweet potato on top of the mixture. Cover with the cucumber ribbons.
6. Once set, slice and ready to serve to the lucky pooch! You can also freeze the mousse in an airtight container for later consumption.
For the humans, you can have the salmon mousse with crusty bread or toast. Add salt and pepper to taste.