Including first aid, grooming, health and beauty kit.
With a New Year comes the desire to clean up and organise my stuff… well at least my dog’s (Bowie) stuff. I put all his essentials (minus his food, treats and toys) in a ‘dedicated’ box and stored the box in the laundry, in an easy-to-reach place (for me) but out-of-reach from Bowie.
So… Here are Bowie’s Essentials In A Box
(in no particular order)
- Collapsible Dog Bowl with Carabiner Clip – perfect for our outings and it just clips to my bag or Bowie’s treat pouch.
- Oh Crap Dog Poop Bags – they’re non plastic, 100% eco-friendly and compostable.
- Dog Nail Clippers – with safety clip to prevent over cutting.
- Dog Slicker Brush – it has fine wire bristles packed tightly together and angled slightly so not to scratch the skin. It’s a great grooming tool to get rid of any debris, loose hair and mats/knots in the fur.
- Dog Toothbrush Set – including finger toothbrushes. You can easily make your own natural dog toothpaste using coconut oil, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Gentle Ear Cleaner – alcohol and sulphate free cleansers with no harsh chemicals or acids.
- Slippery Elm Bark Powder – its lubricating and anti-inflammatory properties soothe and aid with digestive and respiratory problems, such as diarrhea, constipation and cough.
- (The ‘Godsent’) FURminator – a de-shedding tool to remove Bowie’s (never-ending) loose, dead undercoat without damaging the topcoat.
- Flea & Tick Treatment – I don’t give Bowie commercial flea and tick treatment unless it’s absolutely necessary. There have been known health risks resulting from the active ingredients contained in the flea and tick products. As much as possible I’d prefer non chemical, natural flea and tick control and remedies. Please consult your trusted vet and/or health professionals if you’re unsure.
- Natural Dog Shampoo – pH balanced, SLES, paraben and soap free.
- Ascophyllum Nodosum Powder – a species of seaweed that can help treat tartar build up and gingivitis, keep your dog’s teeth clean and reduce bad breath.
- Anxiety/Storm/Noise Relief (Natural Homeopathic Remedy) – a liquid solution formulated from 100% natural, plant-based ingredients. Please consult your holistic vet and/or health professionals if you’re unsure.
- Dog Worming Tablets – make sure they protect against all common intestinal worms – including tapeworm – and heartworm. Please consult your trusted vet and/or health professionals if you’re unsure.
- Natural Anti Inflammatory & Joint Supplement – Bowie had a long history of muscle and cruciate ligament injuries. He’s all healed now but I’d like to maintain his general wellness, joint health and mobility. Pictured here is Antinol Rapid given with Bowie’s daily meal. It has a potent blend of two marine lipid concentrates (EAB-277) which contains the full spectrum of all known Omega 3’s in highly bioavailable form as well as other vital Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and antioxidants. Please consult your trusted vet and/or health professionals if you’re unsure.
- Sticky Roller Pet Hair Remover – multi-purpose emergency roller to remove Bowie’s hair from my clothes, car, couch, his bed etc.
- Dog Grooming Cologne – containing natural essential oils of tea tree, peppermint and eucalyptus. This is probably the fanciest item in Bowie’s box. It’s pH balanced, SLS and paraben free, no petro-chemicals, no synthetic perfumes, no palm oil and 100% vegan.
- Sure Grip Leash – made with soft cotton with rubber tracers woven through the webbing.
- Soda Crystals – A vet recommended this home–DIY–emergency–first aid to induce vomiting in dogs. It has saved us a few times when Bowie ingested chocolate and cricket ball leather (twice!). See this post (scroll down) on how to administer the soda crystals. If you suspect your dog has ingested toxic substance, or if your dog hasn’t vomited after administering soda crystals, please call your vet immediately.
- Front Connection Harness – we’ve tried so many different types of collars and harnesses, and this one seems to do wonder for Bowie’s pulling and training. Pictured here is SENSE-ation® Dog Harness.
- First Aid Kit – this is a downsized version which includes swabs, bandages and isopropyl alcohol wipes.
- Bowie’s Personal ID & Medical History – all in one folder. I also collected all of the medication packages Bowie’s had in one sealed bag (not pictured here) for future reference.
Note: We’re not affiliated with and/or paid by any of the brands portrayed here. These are strictly our personal use and experiences. You should always do your own research and/or consult your vet and/or health professionals before using any of the products above.